Maggie on Elm

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Do not delay...return your overdue library books today

I thought I'd heard it all.

A Wisconsin woman recently spent 6 days in JAIL for unpaid library fines!

Now, I always have to pay a fine when I return my library books. I just count it as a contribution to either the Emmaus or Allentown Library. I haven't yet tried to take those fines off on my income tax return, though. And libraries regularly have a line item for income generated by the payment of fines-- like mine.

So I read with amazement the story of Keely Givhan, a mother and college student, who was pulled over for not having a working light bulb over her license plate only to be told she also was wanted for unpaid library fines ($159) and unpaid court costs ($172). Having no cash to pay her fines, she spent six days in jail.
I hope she had a good book to read.

Police captain Bill Tyler said a violation is a violation "whether you've got dope or library books."
So I'm picturing a sizzling frying pan with a sunny side egg: This is your brain on books.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home